Monday, March 19, 2007

Need Prayer! (selina)

Hey guys!
So last week, my advertising partner (Denise) and I (yes we work in pairs) found out that we were SEMI-FINALISTS for this advertising competition we entered. The competition is for ASTRAL MEDIA (a media company duh?) which goes around different major cities promoting them, so they run this competition where people come up with billboard ideas for their city (TORONTO yay!). That being said...our idea for Toronto is basically stating that everybody has their own perspective of the city and to encourage people to have their own vision of what Toronto is to them (hence* Picture it your way with the hands framing "your" point of view).
AND tmr, we just found out (less than 24 hr notice) that we're presenting our billboard to a panel of ASTRAL MEDIA judges at 9AM. So we're pretty much trying to stay calm and collected and oh yea....scrambling to finalize how we're gonna present.
Please pray that we continue to be humble, be thankful for this opportunity and to have the presentation go smoothly.

Thanks in advance guys!
-Selina

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on your semi-finalist-ness! praying for ya!

Anonymous said...

oh and that ad looks goooooooodd. maybe next time we look at it it'll be on a billboard!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! This is so exciting!

I have and idea (though it might be kind of late). Instead of using hands, maybe you can incoporate faces into you billboard to make it more personal (since you are trying to present TO from each individual's perspective). If I just saw hands framing a photo, I would feel a sense of disconnect since I would have idea who's framing the photo. If you put faces in the billboard and give each person a personality (eg. an avid Leafs fan dressed up in Leaf's gear) and then have him/her frame a photo of the sense of joy and celebration fans feel after the Leaf's have won a game or something, other Leafs fans will be able to relate to it. You can also represent different age groups living in Toronto. For example, if you show the face of a child, he/she can fame a photo of playing in the park with his/her parents or something...or, if you show the face of an elder who has lived in Toronto for over 60 years, you can frame a photo of him/her reliving Toronto's history and how it's changed in the past 60 years. You can create and entire series that way!!!

Oooo, ooo, ooo!! I just though of something. Maybe you can even find a real life, average Torontonian who has a story to tell and then have him/her represent his/her story in a photo. You can create a series with that also, by selecting interesting individuals who have something to share.

Wow, once I start, the ideas just keep pouring out. I really hope this helps and everything works out!

This is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jess holly said...

um i dind't read anything amy said but CONGRATS SELINA!! thats so awesome!!! this competition is your big break! haha

Anonymous said...

Oooo, ooo, ooo, I have more!

I realize it might be kind of difficult to incoporate an entire face into the ad somewhere, so instead, you can show the face of the individual framing the photo INSIDE the picture. For example, with a child, you can show a child's hands (sooo cute) framing the photo frame, and then have a picutre of a kid in the park with his/her parents. You can also play with the colours in the photo frame too. For example, to make the individual stick out of the picture, you can make the person visible in FULL colour while the rest of the picture is set at sepia tone/black & white or something. I think it can really work!! Especially since you get a huge sense of who the person is by looking at the hands. And elderly will have old and wrinkled hands, a child will have small and soft hands, a Leafs fan can have a stamp of the Leaf's logo on his/her hand, a married man/woman can have wedding band on his/her hand and the photo can show a picture of their wedding in Toronto...awwww! Etc, etc.

Sorry if I don't make much sense, but I'm so excited right now, that I can't even do my own work!!!

Selina Wong said...

Aww thanks for all the support guys!
Amy, you're the best! hehe...thanks for the input! Too bad it's only just ONE ad...we really did wanna make a series with different hands and different perspectives. It'd be sucha great campaign. And yea that's the "FINAL"...so we can't really change anything.

Gymprov said...

This is great news! Take advantage of the opportunity! And right when I saw that ad, I thought that incorporating different hands (of different colours, sizes etc) would have been perfect to convey your perspective idea. Of course since you're the creator of it you would've thought of it already!
break a leg!

Anonymous said...

What the!? how come my blog has it's own set of links here? =O
what about other blogs?

Darren said...

I think Andrew RSS them..